The Russian-Armenian (Slavonic) University (RAU) and the Delegation of the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) in Armenia, with the support of the Ministry of Justice of the Republic of Armenia announce the 5th Yerevan International Conference for Young Researchers "International Humanitarian Law: Problems and Perspectives of Development", which will be held on 22-24 November 2012 in Yerevan, Republic Armenia. The 2012 Conference on IHL will be dedicated to the means and methods of warfare in co
ntemporary armed conflicts: IHL perspective.
The purpose of the conference is to create a forum for young law professionals to discuss current challenges of modern armed conflicts in the light of International Humanitarian Law, International Human Rights Law and International Criminal Law. The working languages of the Conference will be Russian and English (with simultaneous translation at all times). In the scope of the main topic of 2012 Conference, we suggest the following subtopics:
- Warfare technologies and IHL regulations.
- Current trends and challenges of prohibition of conventional weapons (anti-personnel landmines, cluster munitions, etc)
- Safe stockpile management and destruction of surplus weapons
- Legality of non-lethal weapons: humanitarian approach
- Cyber warfare and IHL
- New methods of warfare in IHL perspective (knocking, targeted killings, etc)
- Juxtaposition of kinetic attacks and computer network attacks (CNA) and IHL
- Modern understanding of direct participation in hostilities.
- Victims assistance
- Destruction of cultural property in the light of means and methods of warfare
- Environmental aspects of modern means and methods of warfare
- Individual sanctions for the use of prohibited weapons (case law of international and domestic tribunals and administrative sanctions)
Young researchers and law professionals in the field of IHL or International Relations under the age of 35 are invited to take part in the pre-selection process of the Conference. In order to apply for participation in the Conference the applicants should submit a research paper on a relevant topic within the scope of the announced topic of the Conference.
The APPLICATION PACKAGE should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org and comprise of an Abstract of the paper (maximum one page), a duly completed Application Form, as well as a professional CV. The deadline for submitting the application package is October 8, 2012. The applicants will be selected on a competitive basis. The selection results will be announced on October 15, 2012. Selected applicants will receive an official invitation letter, including the program details and the venue.
Organizing Committee will provide the participants of the Conference with visa support, accommodation, meals, local transportation and materials during the Conference days. Please note that round-trip travel expenses are to be covered by the participants of the Conference.