American Bar Association—Rule of Law Initiative Job Announcement: Staff Attorney
Updated: January 21, 2013
ABA ROLI seeks a Staff Attorney to work on its Criminal Law Reform and Anticorruption Project in Moscow beginning February 15.
Criminal Law Reform Project: The project aims to strengthen the capacity of Russian legal professionals and legal institutions to uphold the right to due process and other human rights, and to increase access to justice by enhancing application of Russia’s Code of Criminal Procedure and applicable international standards in Russian courts.
Anti-Corruption Project: The project assists regional and local governments to combat corruption by identifying local needs and local opinions about corruption; increasing expertise among municipal officials, community organizations, and businesses about the development and application of local anti-corruption strategies; increasing public awareness about corruption and anti-corruption strategies, and supporting application of effective strategies to combat corruption.
In general, the Staff Attorney implements the goals of the American Bar Association Rule of Law Initiative project in adherence with the grant requirements of the United States Department of Justice and the requirements of other funders.
The Staff Attorney’s specific objectives are to help design and develop programs aimed to support the objectives outlined above; to implement programs within the environment of current legal developments and local needs; to plan and coordinate events and other activities involving advocates, municipal officials, regional officials, law enforcement, NGOs, students, experts and others; to organize and develop manuals and other publications; and to act as a liaison between partners in the United States and Russia.
Reports to the Country Director.
Potential to supervise support staff and interns on a project basis.
Duties and Responsibilities:
· Monitor needs of Russian non-governmental, community, government, and business organizations, and work with these organizations and ABA ROLI staff to devise programs to address policy and practical solutions that can be implemented in project form.
· Conduct legal research, monitor legal developments, monitor political developments that may affect project development or implementation. Report to Country Director with recommendations where necessary.
· Work with other staff to draft and revise monthly and quarterly program reports.
· Develop training skills and participate in ROLI conferences as an expert.
· Develop and edit training materials, clinical manuals, and other publications.
· Represent ROLI at meetings with local partners and members of the international community, including U.S. Embassy officials, in a professional manner.
· Plan and organize workshops, including logistical arrangements.
· Establish and maintain contacts in the Russian legal community and share this information with ROLI staff on a regular basis.
· Translate and interpret as requested.
· Other duties as assigned.
Technical and Educational Requirements:
· Degree in Law
· Fluency in Russian and English (speaking, writing)
· Proficiency in Microsoft Windows and Microsoft Office Programs
· Excellent oral and written communications skills; experience making public presentations
· Strong legal writing skills
· Training skills
· Previous work at an international NGO or similar organization
· Demonstrated commitment to ROLI and its policies and objectives.
· Flexibility to modify plans and behavior when necessary to meet a goal.
· Strong verbal and written communication skills
· Team player able to mentor others in developing skills
· Integrity and adherence to high ethical standards
· Tolerates stress and maintains stability and composure under pressure
· Strong organizational skills
· Willing to travel as necessary for program implementation
· Willing to work extended hours at times when necessary for program implementation.
If interested, please send a cover letter and curriculum vita to one of the following addresses:
Melissa Hooper, Country Director
ABA Rule of Law Initiative – Russia
Maria Voskobitova, Senior Attorney
ABA Rule of Law Initiative – Russia